London (Saraar Media) Prime Minister David Cameron will host the London Conference on Somalia today . Foreign Ministers from around the world will attend, including both the President and Prime Minister of Somalia.
The UK’s primary objective in Somalia is to seek a lasting political solution that will bring peace and security to the country, and reduce threats to the UK. With engagement from attendees at the highest level, the conference will agree a series of practical measures to support Somalia.
Following his visit to the country, Foreign Secretary William Hague described Somalia as the world’s worst failed state.
Speaking ahead of the conference the Foreign Secretary said that the aim is to agree a series of practical measures to support Somalia and to help the country get on it’s feet:
“We are realistic – Somalia’s problems cannot be solved in a day, but its people deserve a better future, and our own security requires their country to become more stable.”
Source; FCO UK
- Strengthening the UK’s relationship with Somaliland
- Pesident of Somaliland Ahmed Siilanyo Has Landed this Morning at London Heathrow Airport to Participate The London Somali Conference
- London meeting on Somalia sparks controversy
- Somalia’s al-Shabab United with al-Qaeda
- Somalia Diaspora Discussion at Chatham House in London 8 Feb 2012
- British Government Consultation on Somalia (Watch Video 1)